grub-devel

Re: graphics mode

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: graphics mode
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 01:09:03 +0200

"Yoshinori K. Okuji" <address@hidden> writes:

> - Get font data from BIOS and attach shades to glyphs optionally.

I prefer the fontmanager, it is portable.

> I guess there is no reason that we cannot use the mode 0x12 instead of 0x10
> (640x350x16), if they can. Since the height 350 is very small, I'm willing to

Does everything (especially scrolling) still work correctly after
changing it?  If it does, I do agree.

> The palette optimization is dirty, but required when the color depth is very
> small.

How does this work?

> Personally, I don't think cursor blinking is required. I rather prefer a
> static, reverse-color cursor, as in Emacs.

If someone has a good reason to use this, it can be implemented later.

> The concept of a viewport is really good, and we should implement this in
> GRUB
> 2.

Yes, it is important.  By doing this it will be easier to make a
theme.  The more things that can be customized, the better IMO.

--
Marco