grub-devel

Re: Fix for strange characters in GRUB 1.91

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: Fix for strange characters in GRUB 1.91
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 23:23:08 -0600

On Nov 2, 2005, at 11:19 AM, Marco Gerards wrote:

On the pegasos the firmware does not support a framebuffer.  But I
think if we add an ATI driver, most pegasos users will have a
framebuffer.  If there is a framebuffer the menu borders will always
look nice.

Pegasos firmware doesn't provide a framebuffer? That is very ungood.

Writing and maintaining our own ATI driver does not sound like fun. We would also need a PCI driver (how will you access config space?) and infrastructure that is otherwise unneeded, such as memory barriers. And *then* we get to talk about initializing and running the video driver itself, which as far as I've seen is not a simple task with modern graphics hardware...

-Hollis