grub-devel

Re: grub 1.92

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: grub 1.92
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 11:52:05 +0200

"Sergey Ya. Korshunoff" <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Sergey,

> grub 1.92 is already quite usefull.
> I use it as a boot loader in my GENTOO partition.
>
> But current version of GRUB2 (1.93 from CVS) reports about pointer
> misaligment and hangs
> (no any text menu posiible). Any plans to fix this? (I use x86 hardware).

Right, this is what happens when a parse error occurs.  This is a big
problem and my highest priority.

> Suggestions about grub2 1.92
>
> 1) Make it possible to coexist with grub 0.97:
>      -- /boot/grub2 intstead of /boot/grub as target for install scripts
>      -- rename scripts to grub2-install etc...
>      -- /usr/lib/grub2 and etc....
>
>    Then user can select wich version of grub to install on some
>    partition

It's a replacement.  But I think there is a configure feature that
allows you to rename binaries and scripts before installing.  The
/boot/grub directory being shared should not course any problems.

> 2) It is nice to keep clean /boot/grub2 from modules (put them in
> subdir like /boot/grub2/modules)

There were some discussions about subdirectories for the kinds of
modules.  Like fs/, commands/, etc.  But I do not remember the outcome
of that discussion. :-)

> 3) some grub-cfg.txt with sample menu for grub2-install to put into
> /boot/grub2 (as it do with fs.lst and modules.lst)

When I fixed things, I will put an example on the wiki.

> Currenly user need to search sources to find default name for menu and
> how is can look.

What do you mean?

> 4) Minor error: when pager=1 then it works and in menu mode (when we
> ask to edit some menu line or return back). And maybe pager=1 by
> defaults?

Do you mean it should be disabled in the menu editor?

I do not think it is wise to enable it by default.  But you could put
it in your grub.cfg.

--
Marco