grub-devel

Re: netboot related projects

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: netboot related projects
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 01:10:51 +0200

On Sunday 30 April 2006 00:03, vincent guffens wrote:
> true, but this is why the idea here is to use the drivers without
> modification or at least with as few modifications as possible.

GRUB Legacy did the same, and failed in keeping the code up-to-date. Because:

- you still have to check all updated files every time.

- you depend on the internal API of Etherboot, so you need to develop glue
code again and again.

I would say that this is not desirable, unless Etherboot developers make the
internal API quite stable, and this is unlikely to happen. They have good
reasons to change it from time to time.

IMHO, the only feasible approach is to depend on only the external API of
Etherboot. This is the UNDI interface. Fortunately, if we use UNDI, we can
provide the same feature for PXE ROMs as well, and UNDI is a standard. So I
prefer to develop a network device based on UNDI rather than copying
Etherboot drivers.

Okuji