grub-devel

Regression with grub-probefs

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Regression with grub-probefs
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 00:08:38 +0200

Looks like grub-probefs is broken in current CVS:

$ sudo grub-probefs -v /
grub-probefs: info: changing current directory to /dev
[...]
grub-probefs: info: /dev/hda1 starts from 63
grub-probefs: info: opening the device hd0
grub-probefs: info: the size of hd0 is 156301488
grub-probefs: info: opening the device `/dev/hda'
grub-probefs: info: DOS partition 0 starts from 63
grub-probefs: info: opening hd0,0
grub-probefs: info: the size of hd0 is 156301488
grub-probefs: error: unknown device

I've performed a binary search and found that it stopped working after:

2006-06-05  Yoshinori K. Okuji  <address@hidden>

        Count partitions from 1 instead of 0 in the string representation
        of partitions. Still use 0-based internally.

I'm not sure if this applies to device.map.  Note that grub-mkdevicemap both
from before and after this commit generates the same output for me.

My (hand-editted) file is:

$ cat /boot/grub/device.map
(hd0)   /dev/hda

I also tried with (hd1) and even (hd-1), with same result.

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is address@hidden  Note: this address is only intended for
spam harvesters.  Writing to it will get you added to my black list.