grub-devel

Why the lvm module didn't work for me...

From: Thomas Schwinge
Subject: Why the lvm module didn't work for me...
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 01:11:30 +0200

Hello!

On the first encounter this is just too funny: Jeroen's lvm module didn't
work for me...  Because I didn't have a floppy in my floppy drive.  Ha!
:-)

Trace:

`insmod (hd0,1)/grub2/lvm.mod'.

disk/lvm.c
#v+
GRUB_MOD_INIT(lvm)
{
  grub_device_iterate (&grub_lvm_scan_device);
  grub_disk_dev_register (&grub_lvm_dev);
}
#v-

First relevant action of grub_device_iterate: call grub_lvm_scan_device
with ``fd0''.  The floppy driver clatters, but there's no disk in, so the
grub_disk_read in grub_lvm_scan_device will fail, fall through to `fail'
and return.

As it got a bit late now and I don't find the (perhaps) obvious, I'll
have to stop here for now.  The short story is that things then somehow
go wrong so that further devices (``hd0'', etc.) will not be probed for
lvm signatures and thusly no lvm devices are ever detected.  More
tomorrow.

Regards,
 Thomas