grub-devel

Re: gettext

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: gettext
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 19:30:26 +0200

On Saturday 19 May 2007 12:21, Robert Millan wrote:
> Are there any plans to implement gettext ?  If not, I'd like to send a
> proposal.

Only a plan. Nothing has been done until now. I think we have three main
issues:

- how to prevent calling getttext before loading it (note: I don't want to put
gettext in the kernel)

- what should be translated (how about error messages?)

- what should be done if a terminal is not capable of displaying most
characters (falling back to original messages? just displaying garbage?)

Technically, it is not hard to implement gettext, but the policy side requires
some more attention.

Okuji