grub-devel

Re: Moving to another SCM

From: Sam Morris
Subject: Re: Moving to another SCM
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 12:39:41 +0000

> >> https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/Git
> >>
> >> It will depend on when savannah starts offering it when we can switch.
> >
> > Support for git is already up and running:
> > <http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/>.  I know from the GNU coreutils and
> > gnulib people that they've already been using it successfully for a few
> > months.  (``Successfully'' here means that they didn't regret to have
> > switched to git.)
>
> This sounds interesting.  Personally I have no objections to a switch.
> Will the history be preserved, do we still have a commits mailinglist,
> is git easy to learn and how do other developers (especially Okuji)
> think about this?

I have been using the following script to maintain a mirror of Grub's
CVS repository. The first time it's run it creates a git repository in
'upstream'; subsequent runs will import any new commits since the last
run.

        #!/bin/sh

        set -e

        export CVSROOT=:pserver:address@hidden:/sources/grub

        git-cvsimport -k -v -i -C upstream grub2

The full history, including branches, is imported. The 'upstream'
directory ends up being 6.3 MiB, which includes a checkout of the
'origin' branch.

--
Sam Morris
http://robots.org.uk/

PGP key id 1024D/5EA01078
3412 EA18 1277 354B 991B  C869 B219 7FDB 5EA0 1078