grub-devel

Re: GRUB2 configuration problem

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: GRUB2 configuration problem
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 10:13:38 +0200

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 12:10:15PM -0500, Christopher Barry wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
>       I just NetInstalled Debian Lenny, and had to try grub2. I used LVM when
> partitioning, and when it rebooted, the menu came up blank.

It's a known problem (see the mail I just sent about update-grub and LVM).

As a workaround, you can remove the font line from grub.cfg.

>       I bounced it into KNOPPIX, saw that the mounted partitions were sda1
> and sda5. sda1 (/boot) mounted, sda5 could not, as it was an LVM
> container.
>
>       I poked around in the grub directory on sda1 and found grub.cfg.
> Examining this, I could see it was not doing an insmod on the LVM
> module,

You only need the LVM module if /boot is an LVM drive.

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is address@hidden  Note: this address is only intended
for spam harvesters.  Writing to it will get you added to my black list.