grub-devel

Re: Using GRUB2 for booting from CD

From: Alex Roman
Subject: Re: Using GRUB2 for booting from CD
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 14:44:09 -0400

On 13/08/07, Marco Gerards <address@hidden> wrote:
> "Alex Roman" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Does this mean you implemented IDE support, etc? :-)

Not yet :( but that's coming :)

I'm doing it the Grub Legacy way of having a "stage 1" specifically
for CD-ROM booting. So, instead of using diskboot.S, for "disk"
booting, I use a cdboot.S which loads the kernel at the right address
and boots it.

> The filesystem should automatically be detected.  What you can do is
> dumping the first sector of the CDROM to see if it is read correctly.
>
> Have a look at grub_iso9660_mount.  It first tries to read the
> superblock.  Next it does is checking if it is actually an ISO9660
> filesystem (by checking for "CD001").  This function should reach
> "return data" if it is indeed a ISO9660 filesystem.

I've been adding some debug prints in there...

I've modified biosdisk.c to recognize drives like (cd0) which
basically start at 0xe0 and have no partitions.

When I try to do something like ls (cd0)/, QEMU freezes (and I don't
see the prints I added), bochs quickly resets (and if the prints do
show up, I don't have time to see them before it resets)... :( I'll
probably step through with gdb or something...

> What you could do first is checking if grub-emu can read your
> filesystem image.  That way you can easily see if the problem is in my
> code or in your code.

How can I use grub-emu with a CD-ROM image?

Thanks!

--
Alex Roman <address@hidden>