grub-devel

Re: eltorito support ..

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: eltorito support ..
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 10:49:44 -0500

On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 12:22 +0000, Kalamatee wrote:
> >Im not having much joy testing the eltorito support ATM.
>
> >Ive made the image using grub-mkimage, then used cat to merge the
> cdboot.img with the core file generated >using grub-mkimage, and
> generated an iso with this file but when trying to boot it the
> following is displayed ..
>
> >http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w131/Kalamatee/AROS64/?action="";>
> >Any ideas?
>
> Oops... gmails reply broke the link I was meaning to show... this is
> the correct screenshot of what happens..
>
> http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w131/Kalamatee/AROS64/?action=view&current=x86_64-grub2cd.jpg

It's possible that you have hit the same problem I encountered a while
ago.  gensymlist.sh doesn't have protection against compiler errors.
So, if you set CC to something with a space, like "gcc -Dfoo", it will
fail silently but produce symlist.c without any symbols, that would
still be a valid C file.

The bug is still there.

./configure CC="gcc -Dfoo"
make
./grub-mkrescue --grub-mkimage=./grub-mkimage --pkglibdir=. grub.iso
qemu -cdrom grub.iso

The error message is just like yours.  symlist.c has an empty symbol
table:

static struct symtab tab[] =
  {
    {0, 0}
  };

Sorry, I should have reported it earlier.

The right fix would be to ensure that symlist.c would be invalid if the
compiler fails, to protect compiler arguments, to capture compiler
errors in gensymlist.sh and to recognize gensymlist.sh failure in the
makefile.  We have several layers of protection failing here.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin