grub-devel

Re: Native CD test results

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Native CD test results
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 18:08:52 -0400

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 23:55 +0200, Vesa Jääskeläinen wrote:
> Pavel Roskin wrote:

> >> Thanks was quick!  It's working for me.
> >
> > By the way, we should recognize images by their internal data, not by
> > the filenames.  As it stands now, the jpeg reader only supports files
> > with ".jpeg" extension, not with ".jpg", which is more popular.  And the
> > error message is unclear if the extension is unknown.
>
> .jpg should of course be supported.

Yes, I could not figure out why it wasn't working until I checked the
sources.

>  But why we _should_ support others
> (incorrectly named files) ?

The name may be in upper case.  Or maybe it's a compressed file ending
with .gz that is being uncompressed on the fly.

>  I think file extension is good enough to
> detect images... If someone makes incorrect extensions its their
> problem... we just make sure our driver do not die at that...

I don't insist, but GRUB traditionally gives its users power to force
things in a specific way, for example, prevent automatic decompression
or force loading a kernel as a FreeBSD kernel.  Besides, users cannot
rename images while in GRUB.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin