grub-devel

Re: cat with pagination

From: Colin D Bennett
Subject: Re: cat with pagination
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 12:29:24 -0800

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 22:18:51 +0200
Vesa Jääskeläinen <address@hidden> wrote:

> Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Jan/24/2009, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
> >
> >> In Grub command line I really miss a cat with pagination (like
> >> more/less). Any reason that it's not here? I don't remember if we
> >> discussed it. Or it's there and I have not found.
> >
> > I've just remembered set pager=1 and cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg :-) (from
> > Grub console)
> >
> > Maybe a "more" command that would setup the pager, cat and remove the
> > pager would be interesting for people who doesn't know about pager? (so
> > doing "TAB" would appear a new command)
>
> Actually if we think about pager overall... it has a kinda failure also.
> It doesn't support aborting the print.
>
> There has been also a talk to enable pager=1 as a default.

Which, as I recall, Okuji rejected because it could cause a
unattended/non-interactive boot process to hang unexpectedly if too
much output was produced for some reason.

Perhaps the pager could default to being enabled whenever an
interactive command line is in use, but default to disabled when the
invoking command is not being executed from an interactive command line.
This would be the most logical solution IMO.

Regards,
Colin