grub-devel

Re: Removing autogenerated files from svn

From: Jordi Mallach
Subject: Re: Removing autogenerated files from svn
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 15:50:47 +0200

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 01:47:49PM +0200, phcoder wrote:
> Hello, we all know how annoying are these autogenerated files. We could
> remove it. The main argument against it is that people will not be able
> to compile without installing a lot of developement tools. It changes
> nothing for the users wanting to modify the code. So I propose to remove
> these files but in compensation setup a nightly build server. I'm ready
> to supply all necessary scripts to create a source tar.gz with
> autogenerated files, binary tar.gz and rescue iso for all platforms
> where applicable.

Please do. Even without the nightly tarballs, I don't think the requirement
to have a few tools installed to build from the VCS is that bad. People
who compile software from SVN should be used to this.

There was also talk of rewriting the ruby scripts into any other language,
preferably shell. That would make things a bit more simple.

--
Jordi Mallach PĂ©rez  --  Debian developer     http://www.debian.org/
address@hidden     address@hidden     http://www.sindominio.net/