grub-devel

Re: absence notice...

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: absence notice...
Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 22:01:45 +0200

Hello, Vesa. Take your time and have fun.

2009/5/2 Vesa Jääskeläinen <address@hidden>
Hi All,

I will be absence from the project related work for a while... So please
feel free to continue or replace the work that I may have got pending.

Some tasks that could be done:

- Video API: save/restore mode. Use "anonymous" data structure that only
device driver itself understands. Having one common block that video
subsystem understands and can choose proper video driver. Idea is to
save mode and then execute something in different mode (Eg. test
videomode) and then restore back to working one if it does not work.

struct
{
       // common part
       char *driver_name/id;

       // driver specific data
       char driver_specific[0];
};

- MM: improve allocation strategy to allocate from start or end of area.
Add more memory areas to MM. Needed at least on x86 with Real Mode
possibility (eg. PCBIOS in use). Need to have difference between lowmem
(< 1MiB) vs. highmem. GRUB normal code/data should go to highmem. BIOS
access data need to go to lowmem. OS kernel code probably should be
loaded at begining on highmem.
I will do this.  I know you already had some work for mm underway that's why I wasn't doing it. Could you send what you already have even if it's far from complete?

Colin: Please feel free to integrate graphical menu change without my
approval. If you feel unsure, please ask in mailing list.

Can't remember anything else for this occasion what important would have
been under the work.
Framebuffer/vbe split ;)

I might read this mailing list occasionally, but don't be suppriced if I
do not notice questions addressed to me.

Thanks,
Vesa Jääskeläinen