grub-devel

Re: More trials with grub

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: More trials with grub
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 14:07:54 -0400

On Wed, 2009-05-27 at 15:05 +0100, James Jarvis wrote:
> Conscious that I am not a developer but it is useful to get feedback on
> the project I have outlined progress mad so far with * to indicate
> questions/discussion points.
>
> I have been building a fat grub2 (using the fatglue.py script from rEFIT
> project) to use on Intel Macs (mac mini; iMac 8,1; iMac 9,1 etc). This
> works on both 32 and 64 bits architectures. Because the modules don't
> work as fat files I tend to use a monolithic grub image. (FWIW, the idea
> is to have a utility boot CD to pass out to our field operators.)
>
> * Is there mileage in having the modules (when insertion is attempted to

It would be better to use different directories for different modules an
adjust prefix accordingly.

> Incidentally I have checked that I can insert the non-fat modules from
> the fat grub2 monolithic image.
>
> I have managed to have it boot from CD but it always chokes when trying
> to find the grub.cfg on the CD - even though I have the required
> filesystems in the monolithic grub image.

I believe it was caused by a bug in hfs filesystem that I have just
fixed.  With prefix ending with a slash, GRUB would add "/grub.cfg" and
the double slash would confuse hfs.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin