grub-devel

Re: Warning free build achieved for most platforms

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Warning free build achieved for most platforms
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 19:40:14 +0200

Hello

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 7:25 PM, Pavel Roskin<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> As of now, GRUB builds without warnings for all platforms except
> i386-coreboot.  The build is done using gcc 4.4.0 for i386 and x86_64
> and gcc 4.3.3 for PowerPC and SPARC64.

It's not entirely true. If you compile under FreeBSD you see a bunch
of warnings coming from the code inside #ifdef __FreeBSD__. Similar
thing happens with Apple's toolchain. It includes warnings
specifically added with #warning to inform about missing not-critical
part of code.
> If we want to use -Werror, now it's the time.  In fact, it would be good
> for the coreboot code too, as its warnings are actually errors.
The problem with -Werror is that different compiling environments
generate different warnings. On gentoo we need either to remove nested
functions or use -Wno-nested-functions.
-Werror could benefit for better code but may happen to break
compilation on some platforms and will make #warning unusable. Such
#warning's are useful because they say the users of less popular
platforms how they can help grub.
I can fix the warnings with FreeBSD. I'll look again at the warnings
with Apple's toolchain but I would actually prefer not to enable
-Werror with Apple's cc because sometimes it generates strange
warnings