grub-devel

Re: Fw: gettext support

From: Jordi Mallach
Subject: Re: Fw: gettext support
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 21:03:19 +0200

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 11:18:08PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> > +"      Use the %C and %C keys to select which entry is highlighted.\n"
> >
> > +"      Press enter to boot the selected OS, 'e' to edit the\n"
> > +"      commands before booting or 'c' for a command-line."
> Uhm this string seems problematic.  We shouldn't have a \n there.  I
> wonder if there's an easy way to solve this.

It'd be better if this was formed by a long, uncut string, but unless GRUB
will have problems displaying the same using more or less lines than the
original, it's not a very big deal. Translators can place the \n wherever
they find is OK to cut the line. Many other programs have similar stuff.

What is VERY important is that all the \n lines are part of a single msgid.
What would be problematic (really!) would be something like:

msgid "Use the %C and %C keys to select which entry is highlighted."
msgid "Press enter to boot the selected OS, 'e' to edit the"
msgid "commands before booting or 'c' for a command-line."

Or even worse,

msgid "Use the"
msgid "keys to select which entry is highlighted."

Translators are completely lost in these two cases.

Jordi
address@hidden     address@hidden     http://www.sindominio.net/