grub-devel

Re: Absence notice

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Absence notice
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 01:29:58 +0200

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 12:08 AM, Pavel Roskin<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 23:02 +0200, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
>> Hello. Tomorrow I go on my travel to France (RMLL) and won't be active
>> till 14 July.
>
> Bon voyage! :-)
Thanks

>>  I'll stay in contact but will not be able to review
>> patches. I know that it doesn't change my status a lot right now -
>> last week was pretty busy too. When I come back I'll catch up with the
>> progress. If someone needs any of my patches in the trunk feel free to
>> commit.
>> Could someone review nested partition patch?
>
> It doesn't apply in loader/i386/pc/chainloader.c at all.
Ok, I'll rediff.

> I think some parts could be split and applied separately.
I'll look but afair it's not possible without breaking something
> I don't think
> there are any objections against supporting nested partitions.
Yes but I thought someone may have comments like "let's shave ths part
from the kernel". The patch doesn't increase the core.img because
increase of kernel size is compensated by pc.mod/bsdlabel.mod split.
It the cases when bsdlabel.mod is used usually no modules like raid or
lvm are used
> But I
> think it would be better to support letters for BSD partitions if it's
> not too hard.
It's done. THe patch treats 'a' and 1 completely alike

>>  It changes sufficiently a
>> lot to need a peer review and I need for clear network naming support
>> (I plan to use a syntax like (ftp,192.168.1.1,21,user,pass)/grub.cfg )
>
> I think the networking is better split from GRUB as a separate project
> under GPLv2.  It would be a huge effort to reimplement networking under
> GPLv3.
You wrong on this point because of http://www.sics.se/~adam/lwip/.
It's a complete TCP/IP stack with loads of features suited for preboot
environment and under 3-clause BSD license. I'll use it as a base. We
can import hw drivers from gPXE (most are GPLv3+-compatible) and
FreeBSD then
>  And I don't see it as a priority.  The priority should be
> supplanting GRUB1, yaboot and other bootloaders currently in use.

It's my priority. Solaris folks are willing to move to grub2 but are
uncomfortable to lose netboot. (nested partitions and zfs were for
them too) Additionaly I have a laptop without CD-ROM and want to push
distributors to have completely network-based installation. For this a
FTP or HTTP supportin grub would be very nice