grub-devel

Re: idea: library support for grub2

From: Bean
Subject: Re: idea: library support for grub2
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 22:46:00 +0800

On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 10:27 PM, Pavel Roskin<address@hidden> wrote:
> Quoting Bean <address@hidden>:
>
>> The biggest part is kern/misc.c, all are library function, many
>> function in startup can also be moved to library.
>
> It doesn't matter by itself.  If the modules linked into the the kernel
> image use most functions in that library, there will be little of no saving.

Many string and char function are rarely used, and the unicode
function is used only by some fs.

>> And with library,
>> symlist.c is not needed as well, which saves another 3k.
>
> Perhaps I misunderstand something in your proposal.  I don't see how
> introducing a library would eliminate symlist.c.
>
> We'll need a list of symbols for modules to use, whether those symbols are
> in the kernel or in the library.  In fact, we'll need two lists instead of
> one - one for the kernel and one for the library.
>
> We could use hashes instead of symbol names to make the symlist shorter (but
> hashes won't compress as well, so it's not a sure win).  We can enumerate
> the symbols - that would compress better.  Or we can resolve all kernel
> symbols in the modules and eliminate the symlist.  But it's a completely
> separate issue.

The reason for symlist is to export function from kernel, but we can
move the kernel to a module as well, therefore eliminating symlist
altogether. With library, we can walk the module list (including
kernel), and linked the unresolved function when generating core.img.

--
Bean