grub-devel

Re: Some ideas about new features of grub

From: BandiPat
Subject: Re: Some ideas about new features of grub
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 17:27:46 -0400

Robert Millan wrote:
On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 02:19:14AM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
On Tue, 2009-07-07 at 20:39 +0200, Robert Millan wrote:

With LUA, we can have a more user friendly interface. I like way rEFIt
works, it doesn't require configuration. At runtime, it detects os and
shows an icon for each of them. We can achieve similar goal using lua.
Of course, advanced user can write the menu manually, but for most
user, a smart auto-generated menu may be more appealing.
But we have grub-mkconfig for that.  This is what distributions shipping
GRUB are using.
That's what distributions shipping GRUB2 are using.  Fedora is totally
unaware of grub-mkconfig, so I have to rerun it every time I install a
new kernel.

grub-mkconfig won't pick up all filesystems, mounted and unmounted.

It will if you install os-prober.  I think os-prober is only available on
debian yet, but it's not debian-specific.

And let's not forget about recovery disks.  That's where lua would
really shine.

Yes, it's a nice feature.  But it's not what most people will use GRUB for.

=======
Actually Zenwalk provides os-prober as well. The gentleman that provides the installer of our Grub2 uses os-prober to detect all OS's installed, so they may be added to the original grub.cfg. Works very well, although not perfect, but we are pretty pleased with the results thus far.

We also do not have to run any of the Grub2 programs after installing new kernels. The developer of our installer patched Grub2 for Zenwalk, so that no changes were necessary after kernel updates. He tried to offer this to you guys as well earlier, but got little response, so we use it for Zenwalk exclusively at the moment.

Regards,
Pat

--
       ---Zenwalk v6.x--Linux 2.6.30---