grub-devel

Re: Antialiased fonts patch.

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Antialiased fonts patch.
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 03:58:15 +0100

Any news on this one?
> So I can suggest to make division: 1-bit & indexed text layer vs
> 8(32)-bit & RGBA layer. First is for speed, second (and third)
> is for beauty. Doing it half-way will be nor fast nor appealing.
>
> And yes, I'm interested in doing it in most effective way: blitter,
> optimizations etc., just give me the direction.

Basically the general idea is to make whatever is looped through is as
fast as possible and to decrease the number of iterations. E.g: put
conditions outside of the loops, use 32-bit accesses instead of 8-bit
ones (don't forget to check that uint32_t is 4-byte aligned) and don't
use higher quality buffer if you're going to blit it on lower quality.
Last rule isn't respected in grub2 (unfortunately). Of course exceptions
to rules can be discussed especially in eye-candy mode

I would prefer to make new version magic PFF3  and add a flag field in
version = 3 and GRUB_FONT_8_BIT would be the first flag. This allows
further expandability by orthogonality.
I started reviewing your patch but it turned out that it's a patch
bewtween some kind of your local versions. Could you send a patch
against trunk?

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko