grub-devel

Re: Documentation bug?

From: Chris Jones
Subject: Re: Documentation bug?
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 23:58:55 -0500

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 10:39:48PM EST, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:

[..]

> You referred to grub.cfg and stage2*.  AFAIK those are GRUB Legacy and
> not GRUB 2.
>
> There does indeed seem to be a problem with the GRUB 2 documentation.
> Most of the files in /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/ are of type .mod and .img.
> I think the file you want is cdboot.img, but I'm not sure how to use
> it.
>
>>> Try http://grub.enbug.org/Manual
>>
>> Never heard of this site..
>
> That's the GRUB Wiki.

Thanks Bruce, and apologies for being a bit tetchy about this.

I was sort of thinking to myself that the doc on gnu.org was a mix of
old grub 0.9x and the new 1.9x.. and I should have said so in the first
place.

What made the whole thing even more frustrating is that my grub setup is
on a different partition than my email.. and I found out that since it
is ext4, I'm not even able to mount that partition from my debian lenny
system where my mail lives.. hence the wrong file name.. ‘menu.cfg’ is
neither grub1 not grub2.. it never existed in the first place.

This said, I really believe having the wrong doc on the gnu.org web site
is an accident waiting to happen..

I have very briefly checked the manual at http://grub.enbug.org/Manual¹
and there does not seem to be a description of a similar procedure to
what I saw section 3.2 of the ‘other’ manual.

I am pretty sure I would be able to fix just about any problem I might
run into when rearranging my system.. but I was hoping that having
a ready-to-go solution in the form of a CD/DVD with a copy of my hard
disk's grub environment might save me the headaches..

I'm not even sure now that what I had in mind is at all feasible with
grub2, save using a floppy, which would mean purchasing an external
drive.. I guess they still make them.

Anyway, unless you can point me to an equivalent of that section 3.2 of
the other manual that would work with the grub I'm currently running --
I believe it is version 1.99 -- I'll take another look at ubuntu's live
CD creation procedure.. It uses isolinux naturally, but I have vague
memories that it also lets you do some things using grub instead..

But first I need to read the ‘new’ manual.

cj