grub-devel

Re: Full documentation for GRUB2

From: Bruce Dubbs
Subject: Re: Full documentation for GRUB2
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 01:19:49 -0500

Chris Murphy wrote:
On Mar 29, 2011, at 9:19 AM, Patrick Strasser wrote:
Moreover googling is no alternative to proper documentation. I'd
like to contribute examples that I found to the grub docs, but the manual gives no hint how to do so... ;-)

It's the developers task and skill to document features.

I agree, but from this outsider's perspective, it's abundantly clear
the developers have totally abdicated on this.

That's a bit harsh. The devs are a very small group and the technical details are vast. There is some effort going on to do the documentation, but it takes time. It is only a .98 release right now which means it is under development. To describe what GRUB2 does will take a moderate size book.

The entire project is a mini-operating system. I personally don't really think a lot of the bells and whistles (e.g. scripting, graphics) are needed for something that most users will look at for 5 seconds as they boot (if at all).

My own grub.cfg looks like:

### grub.cfg
set default=0
set timeout=5

insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,1)

menuentry "LFS SVN 20110204, Linux 2.6.37" {
        linux   /linux-2.6.37 root=/dev/sda14 ro
}

menuentry "LFS SVN 20100627, Linux 2.6.34-label" {
        linux   /linux-2.6.34 root=LABEL=lfs-svn ro
}

and it works fine. On the other hand, I don't do Windows, BSD, MAC, serial IO for boot, nfs boot, tftp boot, a boot sector on raid, EFI, initrd, grub-mkconfig, or a myriad of other things that GRUB supports.

  -- Bruce