grub-devel

fixed item-height, item-spacing, max-elements-shown etc

From: Vladimir Testov
Subject: fixed item-height, item-spacing, max-elements-shown etc
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 19:44:14 +0300 (MSK)

I'm going to write some patches for GRUB2 - mainly for theme handling.

First one - I've faced some bug: maximum number of displayed boot elements is
counted in presumption that element's height is item_height and distance
between elements is item_spacing. Nevertheless, this conceptions does not work
during menu drawing if we have bitmap box of the selected element. Real height
of the element will be (item_height + box_pad_top + box_pad_bottom - 1), where
box_pad_top and box_pad_bottom are top and bottom dimensions of bitmap box. So
we will have strange difficulties with understanding of what will be really
drawn and what menu height we should use.

The patch fixes these problemes. We will have item_height in every case. So,
there will be no troubles with item_height, item_spacing and menu height. These
three variables now mean what they suppose to mean.

Would be glad if this patch will be accepted. I also have many ideas how to
improve GRUB theming functionality. Some of them are completed and I can send
them as patches as soon as this patch is accepted.

Should I create update-request in bugzilla?

If something in the patch is not clear - you can ask me.

Also, some time ago I've sent a patch which adds new option - item_pixmap_style
for bitmap box of unselected elements. It was not accepted but I didn't
received any feedback. With whom should I discuss this patch (now I want to
modify it, if the current patch will be accepted).

Thanks for your attention.