grub-devel

Re: [RFC] Support for UEFI ESP in os-prober

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: [RFC] Support for UEFI ESP in os-prober
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 19:51:17 +0200

On 05.06.2013 17:56, Mads Kiilerich wrote:
> On 05/31/2013 07:03 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
>>
>>> I must say I'm generally disappointed with os-prober and have
>>> ideas to move away from it. I'll start another topic for it.
>>
>> I agree.  I would prefer adding an include command so grub.cfg could
>> just do something like:
>>
>> include /boot/grub/grub.d/*.cfg
>>
>> and have an install procedure drop in one or more menu items instead
>> of every os install or update rewriting the entire grub.cfg every time.
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec/ describes
> such a configuration structure, and
This standard apparently was done without any consideration of boot
loader point of view and probably without any input from bootloader guys
at all. I'm not ok with using it as is but can be used if ammended.
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/grub2.git/plain/0362-blscfg-add-blscfg-module-to-parse-Boot-Loader-Specif.patch
> implements it as a grub command.

Due to design limitations of design, it will break in some completely
reasonable cases. It can't be supported as-is.