grub-devel

Re: How to exit from linux kernel and return to then grub?

From: SevenBits
Subject: Re: How to exit from linux kernel and return to then grub?
Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 13:23:21 -0400

Actually, a correction to what I just said. A processor can return
from protected mode to real mode. Read more here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_mode#Entering_and_exiting_protected_mode

I don't know if GRUB supports this (I would assume not) but generally
speaking it is still not possible to do what you want because the
Linux kernel as far as I know does not have the functionality that
would be required. If you want to try and do this, go ahead and
attempt it, but the roadblocks will be so large that it probably is
not worth trying, and just simply rebooting the machine is the best
way to get to GRUB.

If you tell us what are _trying_ to do, i.e what you need this
functionality for, perhaps we can suggest an alternative way to
achieve what you need.

- -- SevenBits

P.S: Since this topic is not about the development of GRUB, it
probably doesn't belong in this list. Please consider posting to
grub-users instead.