grub-devel

Re: grub PVHv2 booting patch series - no block devices available in gues

From: Andy Smith
Subject: Re: grub PVHv2 booting patch series - no block devices available in guest
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 07:44:02 +0000

Hi Juergen,

Thanks for replying so quickly!

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 08:28:19AM +0100, Juergen Gross wrote:
> On 23/01/18 08:18, Andy Smith wrote:
> > The selected kernel and initramfs are read and it does boot that
> > but there do not appear to be any block devices so it ultimately
> > fails to find root filesystem.
>
> You will need some more Linux kernel patches:
>
> https://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2017-11/msg01681.html

Ah, that is a shame. I was investigating this now because I thought
with PVHv2 support available since 4.11 there was a good chance that
a modern guest distribution release (in this specific case
"debtest1" was in fact Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with HWE 4.13 kernel) would
be usable without additional guest modifications.

I see now that at the moment this really only means usable by
directly supplying kernel and initramfs, which is not going to work
for my users who like to choose between several distributions and
control their own kernels.

I will evaluate again when/if these patches become available in
distribution packaged kernels.

Thanks,
Andy