grub-devel

Multiboot ELF segment handling patch

From: Alexander Boettcher
Subject: Multiboot ELF segment handling patch
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 11:20:37 +0200

Hello,

our project uses various (micro)kernels booted via GRUB2 using the
Multiboot & Multiboot2 protocol. Some of the kernels have several ELF
segments which are not necessarily placed close together.

When booting such kernels with GRUB2 in BIOS legacy mode we observed
that the screen shows colored blinking scrambled output, until the
graphic drivers takes over. (Looks very fancy, but our customers don't
like it ;-) ). We could track down the issue and have a fix for GRUB2,
which is attached.

Can you please have a look and check regarding what should/could be
changed to get it upstream? We did not test the dynamic relocation part,
since we have no such (kernel) setup. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Alex.

--
Alexander Boettcher
Genode Labs

http://www.genode-labs.com - http://www.genode.org -
https://github.com/genodelabs/genode

Genode Labs GmbH - Amtsgericht Dresden - HRB 28424 - Sitz Dresden