gtick-devel

Re: [Gtick-devel] Allow Accents to be silent

From: Roland Stigge
Subject: Re: [Gtick-devel] Allow Accents to be silent
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 16:07:18 +0200

Hi,

thanks for your suggestions.

On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 04:40, James Avera wrote:
> How about making the "Accent Table" check-boxes
> be 3-way selections, with "silent" as the 3rd choice?
>
> Much world music uses odd meters such
> as 7, 11, 23, etc. where the individual beats are
> very fast, so you don't want to hear all of them.
>
> For example, the Bulgarian rhythm called "kopanitsa"
> is in 11, counted as 2-2-3-2-2 (quick,quick,slow,
> quick,quick).

Recently, others asked for the same feature, so I'll put it on the TODO
list.

Patches welcome. :)

> GTick could support this with minimal UI change by
> making the Accent check-boxes multiple choice
> (Accent, Normal, or Silent).

Yes. Maybe we just need to write a new widget: A button with 3 states.

> P.S. This idea could be extended to support an
> arbitrary number of choices for each beat, perhaps
> playing sound samples found in some directory
> (which the user could augment as desired).

This is the (somewhat more complex) alternative to the above idea.
Opinions?

> On the other hand, such complexity might be inappropriate
> for a simple, clean tool such as GTick.

Exactly. Maybe the answer to this question is the already present
default configuration of gtick: Just not showing the accent table.

bye,
  Roland