gtick-devel

[Gtick-devel] Using GTick as a tool for determining a track's BPM

From: Louis Adam
Subject: [Gtick-devel] Using GTick as a tool for determining a track's BPM
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 19:24:36 +0000

Hello everyone!

I'm a DJ and I've recently decided I want to tag my digital media with the BPM of the song. After trying out various BPM detection programs I've decide it's much easier to just do this by ear and beat match it to a metronome as I would a record on a turntable. I did a quick look in the Ubuntu repos and found GTick which so far I'm very happy with. There are, however, a couple of ways in which GTick could be improved and I thought I'd share my thoughts with you.

The minimum resolution (in 0.5.0) is 1.0 BPM, it would be nice to have a resolution of 0.1 BPM, so I can get a more accurate value for the tracks with a value that isn't an integer.

The tap tempo button doesn't seem to be very useful, the value it gives varies wildly with every tap. I'm guessing that it calculates the value from the previous two taps rather than dividing the time elapsed by the number of taps minus 1 which would cause human error to become insignificant as you tap for a longer period of time. It would also be handy to have a shortcut for the tap tempo button as while still not ideal it's easier to tap with a keyboard than with a mouse.

Anyway, thank you for this program and thanks for reading!

Best regards,
Louis