Re: Several questions.

From: Michael Livshin
Subject: Re: Several questions.
Date: 20 Apr 2001 23:29:19 +0300

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:

> > > Does pthreads offer something like a atomic update for a pointer?
> > > With such a thing, we could atomically swap in the new smobtable.
> >
> > I don't think so.  The problem does not depend on whether the pointer can
> > be updated atomically.

just a small point: while the POSIX spec doesn't guarantee (or specify
a way to get) memory coherence (i.e. atomic updates) in general, all
the interesting platforms update word-sized (and word-aligned, of
course) locations atomically.  ISTR that Java counts on it.

this is from memory, though.

--
This code is a piece of crap! You have no honor!
                                        -- Klingon Programmer