Re: suggestions for Guile wrt GTK and Gnome support

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: suggestions for Guile wrt GTK and Gnome support
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 02:39:11 -0700

   From: Ariel Rios <address@hidden>
   Date: 24 Jul 2001 00:13:24 -0400

   Can someone explain to me, why I only receive flames about
   gnome-guile / guile-gtk?

(1)
Therefore when hacking is lost, there is kludging.
When kludging is lost, there is binary installation.
When binary installation is lost, there is net.pleading.
When net.pleading is lost, there is flaming.
Now flaming is the husk of collaboration and goodwill,
        the beginning of confusion.
Knowledge of the feature is only a flowery trapping of the hack.
It is the beginning of folly.

Therefore the truly great programmer dwells on what is real
        and not what is on the surface,
On the fruit and not the flower,
Therefore accept the one and reject the other.

(2)
i've observed that most programming projects either explode into a
balkanized mess or become insular gardens w/ a touch of malice to the
sweet but sticky fruit.  where projects touch (A-HYPHEN-B) cultural war
breaks out, each project's conventions another throng of solider ants
gnawing at everyone's throat, 99% genetically identical but driven by
some imperitive to deny the potential of harmonious co-existence.
library dependencies twist and tangle, terminologies jumble and jangle,
implementation approaches mince and mangle, it's all a great roar, this
sea at the door, we've got seven object ontologies, why not add four
more?  (why make the call to stop or to stall -- hey, after all, take
two, they're small!)

(3)
there was a rabbit that after many years became enlightened and was able
to transform itself into human form.  monkey king, his stone head shiny
in the autumn sun, could not help but notice this old man w/ exceedingly
flowing silver beard stumbling along the road to the West before him.
the pilgrim called out "hey old man, could you tell us where we may find
the main city in this strange land?", but before he could speak another
word, old monkey had sized up the situation and turned the figure into a
meat patty w/ his cudgel, thus reverting it to its original form (though
now flat).  the pilgrim, tears in his eyes, wailed to the heavens "oh
how am i to attain salvation travelling w/ this brute?  he knows no
pity, shows no compassion, is quick to anger, never thinks twice?"  old
monkey, having heard this sort of tripe for many a league, just laughed
and pointed to the unmoving lump.  "c'mon, master, let's you and i find
some rice for our bellies before the sun falls.  the ants are already
feasting!"

thi