qthreads / guile-readline version suggestion

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: qthreads / guile-readline version suggestion
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 04:17:43 -0800

presuming the qt/ChangeLog is complete, it seems to me libqt version for
guile-1.6.x should be 1.0.1 (was 0.0.0 for guile-1.4), which reflects
the nature of the changes since 1.4: only addition of interfaces / no
removals.  (see rules 4 and 5 in the libtool info page.)

for guile-1.4.x, i only plan to increment REVISION, so we have something
like this:

 guile-1.4              0.0.0
 guile-1.4.1            0.1.0
 guile-1.4.2 ...        0.2.0 ...
 guile-1.6.1            1.0.1

a similar analysis also applies to libguile-readline version update (i
think it should be 1.0.1 for guile-1.6.x, also).  the consequence of
this fussiness (as opposed to simply using 15.0.0 or somesuch) is to
allow users specifying CURRENT==1 to also be able to use CURRENT==0 if
CURRENT==1 is not available.  a non-zero AGE is a Good Thing because it
doesn't introduces gratuitous incompatibility.

rob, what do you think?  we should write down some things in
devel/policy/api.text -- the version table there is a first stab based
on the various FOO-VERSION files, but i didn't do the archive diving to
capture rationale yet.

thi