Re: memory.text

From: Dirk Herrmann
Subject: Re: memory.text
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 21:50:27 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Rob Browning wrote:

> Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Done!  However, there's something that should be noted here:  The name
> > scm_cell was used for Guile's basic cell datatype.  According to our new
> > naming scheme for data types, this should already have been renamed to
> > scm_t_cell, but it was forgotten at that time.  Maybe it would be a good
> > idea to rename it in the stable branch and deprecate the old name
> > there, before the release is made?  (I don't know whether such a change is
> > still OK for the stable branch.)
>
> If you're just talking about deprecating the old name, but not
> removing it entirely, or if this change isn't likely to affect
> programs compiled against libguile, etc.  Then I'm probably OK with
> the change.  Otherwise I feel like we should probably leave it alone
> for the release.

I'm just talking of deprecating it, just like the other old style type
names are in the stable branch.  And, the type scm_cell is not likely to
be used by user programs also.  So, I'll go ahead and deprecate scm_cell
in the stable branch, making scm_t_cell the official type name there.

Best regards,
Dirk Herrmann