Re: The 1.6.1 release.

From: Evan Prodromou
Subject: Re: The 1.6.1 release.
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 16:13:39 -0600

    RB> So I propose that unless there's something seriously wrong
    RB> with 1.5.5, we release 1.6.1 in the next week to week and a
    RB> half, but we do this with the expectation that we are likely
    RB> to have very frequent point releases as we discover any
    RB> problems -- I will make it a priority to upload a new point
    RB> release as soon as possible after anyone commits important
    RB> fixes, with particular importance placed on new NEWS updates,
    RB> bug fixes, new documentation regarding transition issues, or
    RB> other documentation improvements.

This sounds really, really good.

    RB> In parallel with this, I'd like to see us continue to pay
    RB> close attention to the same issues in the 1.7 tree, trying to
    RB> keep in mind the things that will be important to any user
    RB> migrating from 1.6 to 1.8 in (hopefully less than) a year or
    RB> so, and if we can design practices and tools that will make
    RB> this easier, so much the better.

So, for my own clarification, once 1.5.x becomes "blessed" into 1.6.x,
what happens in CVS? Will there still be 2 branches, one stable and
one unstable? Or will a third branch, 1.9.x, start happening at that
point? Or later, when 1.7.x is starting to look like 1.8.x?

Dazed and confused,

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou