Re: Syntax checks

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Syntax checks
Date: 14 Apr 2002 20:11:25 +0200

Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:

> IMO, the current solution is broken.

Yes, my opinion as well.

> Thus, I sugggest to first go the way that Lynn suggests: Do
> expansion after reading, but don't care about re-compilation.  If we
> later decide for re-compilation, we can think about possible
> solutions then.

Yes.  More detailed:

 - revoke macro transformers from being stored in variables.  I.e.

    (define-macro (foo ...) ...)
    (define bar foo)

   will no longer work.  Instead, put macros into the toplevel by
   binding them directly to a symbol.  We now have

      (module lookup)    (variable-ref)
    symbol ------> variable ------> #<macro>

   but should have

      (module lookup)
    symbol ------> #<macro>

 - Make syntax-case use this arrangement, and make it work correctly
   with modules in general.

 - Separate memoization from execution.