Re: What can I do to help? (conclusions)

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: What can I do to help? (conclusions)
Date: 10 Oct 2002 10:34:16 +0200

Rob Browning <address@hidden> writes:

> Andreas Rottmann <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Yes, that's a clear disadvantage. However, in what environments does
> > that requirement exist? If you have a configure option, you can decide
> > both ways. There could even be a debian package 'guile' (with a C
> > linked executable) and a 'guile-c++' one, linked with g++, replacing
> > 'guile' (or the other way round with a c++-linked guile as
> > default). Then C++ plugins could depend on guile-c++. However, I get
> > too much into debian pkg management now, I guess *waves to Rob*.
>
> I think this might be possible, but if it meant that not only guile,
> but every lib and app that was linked against guile would have to be
> packaged two ways, then it's probably not feasible.

It's just about the main program (executable). Libs and thus modules
won't be affected. Apps can decide wether they want to support guile
modules written in C++ (and be linked appropriatly).

> > It is not possible to load this plugins with some C++ constructs
> > (e.g. exceptions, don't know the full list), since guile
> > crashes.
>
> Are we talking about guile functions calling c++ functions, or c++
> functions calling guile functions here, and are we talking about the
> c++ code being accessed via guile loaded (dynamic-link)ed shared
> libraries or via direct linking/loadinga?

c++ code being loaded into guile dynamically (i.e. shared libs).

> Also is there a description of the problem available anywhere? i.e. in
> the case of exceptions where c code is calling c++ code, is it a
> problem if the c++ code throws an exception at all, or only if it
> tries to throw one up to the c level.  If the latter, then can the c++
> code just be required to have a catch-all "catch" at the top-level in
> all of the functions guile will be calling?

Sorry, there is no definite explanation (at least i didn't find
one). However, I'm going to investigate this more. It seems it may
have to do with most C++ shared libs ending up being linked by gcc
instead of g++ (due to a libtool bug).

Regards, Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden        | address@hidden |