Re: autconf stdint types checking in guile-core

From: tomas
Subject: Re: autconf stdint types checking in guile-core
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:59:32 +0200

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 03:28:21AM -0400, Thamer Al-Harbash wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Rob Browning wrote:
>
> > Actually, this may be hard to get right.  I haven't yet figured out a
> > way to get the value of CHAR_BIT either at configure time, or from the
> > C compiler at gen-scmconfig time in the cross-compilation case...
>
> Is AC_TRY_RUN at configure time bad for cross compilation? I'm
> assuming it is.

It is. You *get* the characteristics of the machine you are compiling
on [1]. You *want* the characteristics of the machine your compiled stuff
is supposed to be run.

There is no simple solution to this problem, IMHO, short of...
say building a `probe' program you send to the target machine
to collect characteristics and `bring them back' to the compilation
host.

Does auto-* have such a thing?

-------
[1] To be more precise ...the machine you are running configure on.

Regards
-- tomas