Re: get-internal-real-time using times()

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: get-internal-real-time using times()
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 14:25:29 -0500

Kevin Ryde <address@hidden> writes:

>         * stime.c (scm_get_internal_real_time, scm_your_base,
>         scm_init_stime): Use times() when available, for a genuine
>         real-time (unaffected by stime system time changes).
>
> The name "real-time" suggests to me something independent of the
> system date/time.  And since the return is clock ticks, times() would
> seem natural.  Unless there's a particular reason it isn't already so.

Presuming I understand what you're doing here (from a brief look), we
might want to be careful.  If the old semantics of
get-internal-real-time relied on ftime, then people may have written
code that depends on the fact that get-internal-real-time has been
returning wall-clock time, and in fact, when contrasted to
get-internal-run-time's description (and given familiarity with the
"times" distinctions), that might be a reasonable presumption.  Or did
I misunderstand?

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu