Re: Cygwin patch for 1.6.4

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Cygwin patch for 1.6.4
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 19:31:28 +0200

Rob Browning writes:

> Would updating the 1.6 branch using the latest libtool help

Yes.

> did you just libtoolize to get the latest bits of everything but
> libltdl, or did you merge the upstream libltdl changes into
> libguile-ltdl as well?

Yes, that was the 'annoying bit'.  I checked and found that most
changes in ./upstream had been merged into libtool already.  It went
something like:

patching file ltdl.c
Hunk #4 FAILED at 192.
Hunk #6 FAILED at 435.
Hunk #7 succeeded at 478 with fuzz 2 (offset 51 lines).
Hunk #8 FAILED at 870.
Hunk #9 FAILED at 2036.
Hunk #10 FAILED at 2782.
Hunk #11 FAILED at 3048.
Hunk #12 FAILED at 3075.
7 out of 12 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file ltdl.c.rej

[headache]

The only sensible change that was not yet in, as far as I could see,
was to avoid a type warning:

-      dest[i] = src[i];
+      ((char *) dest)[i] = ((char *) src)[i];

With the next version of libtool, I merely updated ltdl.c and ltdl.h
from libtool CVS, as were in the previous patch I sent.  Attached
seperately now.

> Also do you follow libtool upstream well enough to have a sense that
> libtool CVS is be stable enough for a 1.6 point release for all our
> other platforms?

No, I just updated when requested for new Cygwin packages.  With
libtool+Cygwin it's been: fresher checkouts, more stable ;-)

Maybe best to ask the libtool developers.  1.5.1 was released on
August 8, and there was only one Cygwin patch after that, so upgrading
to that would already help a lot.

> Unfortunately, we didn't really have an alternative.  We can still use
> libtoolize to bring the guile tree up to date; we just can't use the
> upstream libltdl until/unless they've fixed the important bugs.

You mean one can do 'libtoolize' but not 'libtoolize --ltdl', but that
doesn't help me.

Jan.