Re: scheme closures: crash during garbage collection

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: scheme closures: crash during garbage collection
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 22:48:34 +0100

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> Guile wants you to integrate your objects with its mark/sweep
>>> approach, by providing appropriate smob marking functions, for
>>> example.
>>
>> If I've understood correctly, this isn't possible in Gregory's
>> scenario.
>>
>> (See
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-gtk-general/2006-06/msg00013.html
>> if you didn't see the whole description on guile-gtk-general already.)
>
> I think this (and also the problem of reference loops that easily form
> over widgets and signal handlers) has been successfully solved in the
> guile-gtk bindings of yore: http://www.gnu.org/software/guile-gtk/

Many thanks for this explanation; it looks good.  In principle,
however, I still think this is pretty tricky and so it would be nice
if libguile could offer some help here.  So if it is possible to
generalise this into something not GtkObject-specific, it would be
nice to provide this as a set of libguile library functions.

    Neil