Re: 1.8 status

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: 1.8 status
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 16:00:39 -0700

Greg Troxel <address@hidden> writes:

> 1.8.0 seems to now be pretty old, and a diff of the head of
> branch_release-1-8 against release_1-8-0 (-Nu) gives 6088 lines, of
> which 2857 are new (ignorning hierarchy.pdf).
>
> The slib bug fix appears not to be present on the 1.8 branch, but I'm
> not quite sure - it seems only to be on the 1.6 branch, and not on
> HEAD.

Right.  The problem is that things have changed in 1.8, and we still
haven't worked out the right way to handle SLIB.  The solution will
almost certainly look a lot like the one in 1.6, but we also need to
make sure the upstream guile.init is appropriate for 1.8.

I've been talking with Aubrey Jaffer about this, but we've been going
fairly slowly.

The lack of SLIB support is one of the reasons that I haven't uploaded
1.8 packages for Debian yet.  I was hoping to wait until we had gotten
that worked out, but I've decided to just go ahead, so I should be
uploading 1.8 packages within about a week or so.

> Is it currently reasonable to use 1.8.0?  It seems there's been a lot
> of work on the branch, and that probably a 1.8.1 is in order.

I'm planning to release 1.8.0 in Debian, but I'll add patches when
they're needed.  I will probably be fairly conservative, though.  So
far, the only patch I know is going in is one to fix the numbers.test
failure.

> Does any know of any problems with any of them with 1.8?  In
> particular, do gnucash and lilypond work with 1.8.0?

I think lilypond probably does.

Thanks
--
Rob Browning