Re: Git workflow overview

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Git workflow overview
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 12:31:36 +0100

Hi Neil,

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> Now, what am I doing wrong here?  I've created a load of new
> .gitignore files, and tried to push them to Savannah's master and
> 1.8.x branches.  The push to master looks good, but the push to 1.8.x
> does nothing:

I had similar troubles when using a local branch name different from
`branch_release-1-8': somehow, Git doesn't memorize the branch name
mapping for push.

The easy fix, of course, it to name local branches like remote
branches---which is what I did, because I was lazy.

The "real" fix involves `.git/config' magic (or `.git/remotes', or
`.git/branches'), to tell Git about the name of the remote branch where
it should push.  git-push(1) mentions several possibilities, but I
haven't tried them.

Alternatively, "git-push origin 1.8.x:branch_release-1-8" should work,
but I haven't tried either.

Maybe you could tell us which trick works best?  :-)

BTW, regarding `.gitignore', it's possible to use glob patterns, like
"*.x", "*.doc", "*.lo", etc.

Thanks,
Ludo'.