Re: Why bother porting Guile to BDW-GC?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Why bother porting Guile to BDW-GC?
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 19:25:49 +0100

Hi,

> I'm all for scrapping code; here are my concerns:
>
> - what is the performance impact?
>
> - does BDW GC handle weak references correctly?
>
> - What about various (undoubtedly little used) areas where GC interacts
> with the interpreter: port de-allocation, guardians, etc.

I talked about most of these in [0].

While weak hash tables are fully functional, there is a subtle
difference in how they behave that I haven't addressed yet [1].

Apart from that, the only incompatibility I know of is the lack of
`gc-live-object-stats', which can certainly be implemented but is just
slightly boring to do.  ;-)

Thanks,
Ludo'.

[0] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.guile.devel/5946