Re: Evaluating (exit) in the debugger

From: Derek Peschel
Subject: Re: Evaluating (exit) in the debugger
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 13:14:04 -0800

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 01:58:51AM -0800, Derek Peschel wrote:
> I also have to figure out why eval-handler is not getting an ordinary quit
> exception in test 1.

Sorry if this series of follow-ups is bad style -- I'm thinking this out
in public.  Maybe the documentation will be useful in some way.

My question was a useful clue that something was wrong.  Intuitively,
if the code being evaluated throws a quit exception, you'd expect eval-
handler to get the quit exception.  It does, _at the beginning_ before
its internal catch runs, whereas test 1 was looking inside the catch.

The correct change to eval-handler is quite minor:  just rethrow any quit
exceptins it gets, and do the rethrow before any of the error-anlysis code
takes over.  Then debug-handler gets the quit.  My last patch dealt with
that part of the sequence of events.  So the problem is fully solved and
I'll send out a new patch soon.

And thanks for your help.  The comment about 'continue got me to look more
closely at eval-handler.

-- Derek