Re: other unicode things to think about

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: other unicode things to think about
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 05:19:34 -0800 (PST)

> From: Andy Wingo <address@hidden>

> Just a random thought: we'll have to deal with unicode ports, and the
> byte-order-mark, and read-char consuming more than a byte. But perhaps
> that work can come after Guile actually supports UTF-32 internally. R6RS
> is probably a good guide in this regard, cleanly distinguishing bytes
> from characters, and specifying the codecs for ports.

True enough.  As a first step, I've been trying to set the encoding
of Guile to be Latin-1 (ISO-8859-1) explicitly, which should at least allow
me to locate all the necessary to/from locale conversions.  To
display Latin-1 encoded strings to a UTF-8 terminal, it is necessary to have
import at least some of the idea of transcoders, like R6RS suggests.  But,
for now, I've been working the cheapest idea: a flag that indicates if a
port requires locale conversion.

-Mike Gran