Re: [Guile-commits] GNU Guile branch, string_abstraction2, updated. fc50

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: [Guile-commits] GNU Guile branch, string_abstraction2, updated. fc50695e8d6a5cc0cebc3a8fcd0833ec1ff316a2
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 07:26:59 -0700

On Fri, 2009-06-05 at 16:10 +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> A few random thoughts:
>
> "Michael Gran" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > -  buf = scm_to_locale_stringn (scm_c_substring (str, start, end), &len);
> > +  buf = scm_to_encoded_stringn (scm_c_substring (str, start, end), &len,
> > +                           pt->encoding, pt->ilseq_handler);
>
> I'd call that `scm_to_stringn ()' since it's the most generic form (and
> a string is always "encoded", anyway).

OK

> > +SCM_DEFINE (scm_setencoding, "setencoding", 1, 1, 0,
> > +       (SCM enc, SCM port),
>
> How about `set-port-encoding!' (for consistency with other procedure
> names), with PORT being a required argument?
>
> >         "Sets the character encoding that will be used to interpret all\n"
> > -       "port I/O.  Normally, one would set this using @code{setlocale},\n"
> > +       "port I/O.  Normally, a new port would inherit the encoding\n"
> > +       "set by using @code{setlocale},\n"
>
> It would seem simpler to me if a port's encoding defaulted to ASCII,
> instead of the current locale's encoding.  That would make semantics
> clearer and easier to follow.  What do you think?

It would make things easier to follow, but, pure 7-bit ASCII would hurt
backwards compatibility.  The libunistring conversion funcs do raise
errors when 8-bit chars are converted into ASCII.  ISO-8859-1 could be
better so that 8-bit chars wouldn't cause errors by default.

Also, I guess setlocale is where one should modify the encodings of
current-input-port, current-output-port and current-error-port,
since they need special handling.

> > +SCM_DEFINE (scm_setbinary, "setbinary", 0, 1, 0,
> > +       (SCM port),
>
> Likewise, `set-port-binary-mode!' or some such.
>
> > +char *
> > +scm_scan_for_encoding (SCM port)
>
> Since it's `SCM_INTERNAL', I'd suggest `scm_i_scan_for_encoding()'.

OK

> In addition, from a memory management viewpoint, it might be easier to
> have it return an `SCM'.

OK

> > -SCM_DEFINE (scm_set_conversion_error_behavior_x,
> > "set-conversion-error-behavior!",
>
> I'm wondering whether this should be a per-port (eventually,
> per-transcoder) setting.  What's your opinion?

I believe that is how it should work.  I'm working toward that.

> Thanks,
> Ludo'.

Thanks,

Mike