Re: postpone discussion.

From: Stefan Israelsson Tampe
Subject: Re: postpone discussion.
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 23:21:53 +0200

On Saturday, August 28, 2010 07:26:06 pm you wrote:
> On Sun 15 Aug 2010 06:26, Stefan Israelsson Tampe <address@hidden>
writes:
> > Probably for some interesting applications there will be a hughe
> > demand on memory. And Keeping the redo tree slim can have a great cost
> > benefit. I believe it is possible to save like 4x in space. And
> > certaily 2x if guile was on a 32bit. Now it might be interesting to
> > have guile in 64bit, but let guile sit on a 32 bit adress
> > subspace. And only let the redo tree take advantage of adressing more
> > then 32bits. This would logically save 2x of memory space. So is it
> > possible to accomplish this?
>
> Well, if you want a 32-bit address space... just compile a 32-bit
> version, right?

Well here is a case where you may want one huge user datastructure that
can cover many gigabytes - so you would like to have 64bit to adress
this creature. So see the pattern here. One blob in
the c-code custom space that is huge and all guile sitting on a small iland
that could have been 32 bit. So one should be able to compress.

Mayby I'm ignorant on the meaning of compiling to 32bit though.

> > Hope this was stimulating.
>
> It was interesting. I did not understand it all but am happy to listen
>
> :)

:-)

> Andy

Stefan