Re: Accessing the environment's locale encoding settings

From: Noah Lavine
Subject: Re: Accessing the environment's locale encoding settings
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 08:11:15 -0800

Hello,

It seems like the right thing to do might be to do setlocale(LC_ALL,
"") in Guile's main(). Let me argue that this accomplishes two goals
which we want to accomplish
  - it does the right thing by default: you want your program to be
able to talk to the user in the user's own language. This accomplishes
that, and also fixes the bug that has been discussed.
  - it lets the user customize Guile's behavior: the user has two
options for going back to the old behavior. First of all, they can do
setlocale(LC_ALL, "C") as soon as their program starts to get back the
default behavior. Second, if they really don't want any locale
changes, they can provide their own main function. We might even be
able to offer a configuration option, so that they could use Guile's
main except for the setlocale call.

However, it seems like in this case, setlocale(LC_ALL, "") is the
right thing in almost every case, and it should just be Guile's
default.

Noah